Monday, June 10, 2013

a Father's Day Keepsake Project Tutorial

June is here!...time to for some Summery fun. Gardening, grilling, sun & water,  and don't forget dear old dad gets his special day this month as well! 

With that in mind, I created this Father's Day Keepsake project & tutorial. 


You will surely bring a tear to dad’s eye this Father's Day with this wonderful keepsake featuring masculine tones, great texture and multiple mini books full of all his favorite memories.
I labeled each book for specific family members. I will add photos and mementos relating to each individual, leaving room for each person to add their own personal memories, quotes, thoughts and greetings for dad.
I pulled together bits and pieces from a variety of Graphic 45 collections, creating an unexpected, yet ideal masculine color story, just perfect for this Father’s Day themed project.





Supply List:
Graphic 45 French Country 8 x 8 Papercrafting Papers

Graphic 45 French Country 6 x 6 Patterns & Solids

Graphic 45 French Country Chipboard

Graphic 45 Bird Song 8 x 8 Papercrafting Papers

Graphic 45 Bird Song Stickers
Graphic 45 Alphabet Stickers (a mix of Bird Song, French Country, A Ladies’ Diary & Secret Garden)
Graphic 45 Door Plate and Knob
Graphic 45 Ornate Metal Label Holder
Graphic 45 Metal Brads
Graphic 45 Metal Key
Misc. May Arts Ribbons
Tim Holtz- metal clock face, metal word charm, grungeboard letters
misc items- paper flower, pocket watch & crown chipboard, washers, screw-top brads
Distress Ink and distressing tool
Creative Imaginations- Bare Elements box and mini books



The base was a set I had tucked away in a cupboard forever. If you can't find a similar set it would be super-easy to re-create using a cigar box and handmade mini books.





Here are 2 versions of the box cover...a simplified version, as well as a more embellished look.
let's get started.....
The first step is to cover your box. I had so much fun utilizing the French Country and Song Bird Collections in a masculine way, rethinking these collections and expanding the possibilities!! 
 cut paper to fit each flat surface... top, bottom, sides, inside covers and your outside cover.  
 adhere pieces into place then sand & ink as desired.   

Next, cover your individual mini books and add your family names. I mixed and matched solids and patterns for the covers and spines. The scaled down patterns from the 8 x 8 collection were perfect for these smaller books. 
I used a variety of Alphabet stickers to label each book. 


Finally...(and my most favorite!) decorate and embellish the cover of the box. 
I included layers of manly metal pieces, lots of textures and a fun, whimsical banner. 




...and here is a shot of the simplified version



I love this set and can't wait to see what my family members do in each of their mini books...but mostly I can't wait to see my dad's face when he opens this gift!! 






xo
Denise 

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Denise! What a wonderful idea and keepsake for Dad. :-) You really rocked out the French Country! Amazing, amazing work! :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arlene!! our pieces looked great together didn't they!! complimented each other perfectly!! and I just LOVE your gift card holders...I'm going to make a batch to have on hand. Fantastic idea!! :D

    ReplyDelete